Monday, March 5, 2012

Rockingham

Back from a wonderful weekend at Rockingham with the cruising club. Beautiful weather for the whole time we were there, so enjoyed swimming, did a little fishing, walking on the beach, coffee with our friends and a wonderful meal organised at the club by Grant and Anne Pitman.
Our daughter, husband and son came with us and spent one day, then sadly we had to say goodbye to them as they had to return home.
We were going to stay on until Wednesday, but the weather bureau forecast high winds for Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday, so as we would be sailing back on our own we decided to leave on the Monday. Very nice of hubby to consider me and not want to scare the living daylights out of me. As most know, I am a wimp when it comes to sailing, don't like just the two of us, I always want someone else with experience to come along, then I can go and hide my head if it gets hairy. So on Monday morning we pulled up the anchor and set off. Most of the club were leaving on that day as well because of work commitments, so it would have been rather lonesome on our own.
There was absolutely no wind, so the iron sail roared away from Rockingham to Mindarie. Of course as we reached Mindarie the usual happened and up came the wind.
With me on the helm, Frank dropped the main and I motored into the marina with palpitations, knowing that I had to put this 12 ton boat into the pen. The first time in three years that I have done this, so very nervous.
I have to say, it was a copy book penning and hubby was extremely chuffed at how well I managed it. The palpitations settled down after a few minutes and I could breathe again knowing that she was in and secure.
Des, on Coconuts came in shortly after, so he joined us for a cuppa and then Gary and Rebekah who own an older Bavaria came up and had a look over M2.
Then it was off to the showers and wallow in the beautiful hot water, clean hair and feeling fresh again.
Cooked steaks for dinner with vegies and just relaxed after a glass of white to celebrate our achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment